It is believed that Alexander the Great was the first to introduce ginger root to Greece, where Hippocrates and Dioscorides recommended it for calming the stomach and improving weak sight. Well-known and used in China and India for thousands of years, ginger is used in Ayurvedic medicine to enhance the ‘fire’ in the body. Its warming and pungent properties are thought to help with proper digestion, body heat, visual perception, clarity of mind, determination and courage.
The largest ginger producer in the world is India that is responsible for more than a third of the world’s ginger root production. The best ginger, however, is reputedly from the Caribbean region, particularly from Jamaica.
Ginger is a key ingredient in a large range of Asian cuisines – Indian as well as South-East Asian. In Asian tradition of cooking ginger is used in both savory and sweet dishes and mixed with all types of flavors. In the Caribbean it is primarily used for brewing ginger beer and in Western cuisine, ginger is traditionally used in sweet foods.
Its active ingredient, gingerol, is what gives ginger its characteristic hot spicy flavor and fragrance.
SPAROZA PRODUCTS THAT INCLUDE GINGER:
. 15 GREEK HERBS AND SEEDS
. COOKING BLEND WITH HERBS AND LEMON ZEST
Let’s look at just a few of the many therapeutic properties of this delicious root:
1. It stimulates blood flow throughout the body and works as a remedy against cold hands and feet.
2. It is effective against nausea, seasickness and hangovers.
3. Its volatile oils are highly antiseptic.
it is reputed to lower harmful cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
4. It has detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful in treating rheumatism and arthritis.
5. It stimulates appetite and enhances digestion.
6. It has a reputation for being an excellent aphrodisiac and fuelling sexual desires.